Thursday, June 28, 2007

Prisoner of war


This is a picture taken by a captive in the Japanese internment camp during World War II.
I have slipped into the inertia of empty house. All the energy seems to have been sucked out into some vortex of non-energy.
When the kids were young and spent time with their dad in the summer, I used to fall into the same inertia. All kids, all of the time - full of kids and the life of kids and then nothing. You can't really start a life, they will be back in some sort of timeframe, never one that was ever guaranteed.
I need to make a plan, make a start on the 'what's next'. The inertia is comfortable, restful even. It is raining, and pictures taken of the summer rain would be a very productive project.
The picture of 'Reflections' is my reminder of Hope, Hope with a capital 'H'.
The captive had hope that someone would view his picture, isn't that why we take pictures? The art of the now, must be a marker for the historical future of things to be and the things that were. We want the record of what is for the time of what was. The idea of this picture gives me Hope. I hope the photographer is living and has achieved all of the dreams he dreamt in confinement.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

Geez, Lou-eeze, Nana-g! This is beautiful. Beautifully written. And the photo---wow! It reminds me of a black "oil spot" glaze I have.

Nana-g said...

Gawpo, my most talented friend, please throw.