Thursday, June 7, 2007

Life Skills: To my son for graduation

What else, what skills must we give our children? That is my ponder on the day before my son may graduate from high school... may - as in still has to take and pass a final in US government.

Reading, writing and math - those are given's - it is the intrinsic things in life that make a life - yes?

In no apparent order:

1.) Ability to know when to let it go.

2.) Ability to truly be sorry.

3.) Ability to know when a hug is better than a word.

4.) Ability to laugh, laugh out loud at a circumstance that is truly absurd.

5.) Ability to understand there is always a third choice - it is never this or that, if you step back there is always a different choice, maybe many choices.

6.) Ability to work - 'Maslow - man must have industry'

7.) Ability to fix a kick ass meal.

8.) Ability to wash, fluff, and fold.

9.) Ability to throw a spiral football - I don't know why this is important, but I believe it is.

10.) Ability to turn over and float on your back - very basic if you ever fall into water and don't know how to actually swim. (Actually knowing how to swim would be my first pick)

Say yes - a lot, more than you say no. Say 'how can I help', before you say 'it can't be done'.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

You are my new Rumi.

XO!

lime said...

good stuff....i think we should also add...

the ability to give a really fine massage and listen well.

;)