Tuesday, June 12, 2007

In Bad Taste

My friend Peter Moore just wrote an article for Alternatives magazine about 'Bad Taste'. It was in response to a letter to the editor basically chastising him for allowing an article to be published by a 'whore'. (It makes me laugh to think that the soap-box holy one writing the chastising letter would call her a whore. I really love that word even more now!) http://alternatives.zaadz.com/
Here is the query: What is in 'bad taste'? Is writing an alternative article in a magazine named 'Alternatives' in bad taste? - I think it would be appropriate. The comment about children having access to the free publication was humorous as well - the children would have to be high functioning readers as there were no pictures, no four letter words. In fact, I found the letter to the editor much more offensive 'don't have the whore write me back' - more inflammatory than the actual article. The original article made me think about how we view women, sex and the idea of touch in our society.
Peter Moore likes to make you think, really think - question your way of being, acting, question how we live, or apathetically don't live. The original article was first published in the winter 2006. Go read it, tell me what you think. It is thought provoking - righteously indignant letter writing provoking but considered, and just what Mr. Moore intended - Engage and Think.

6 comments:

Jacob said...

Hey, what rhymes with Moore?

armalicious said...

Hello! Gawpo told me to come visit you. I like your writings!

I couldn't find the article that you spoke of, but I want to read it.

Bazza said...

Hi, I also came via Gawpo. I read the article and found it interesting. I didn't agree with all of it, but hey, each to their own, and I certainly didn't find it offensive.

Nana-g said...

Welcome all! Thank you Gawpo for inviting people to my space - I will see if my reply shows up - I am a new-be with blogging.
Try:
http://www.alternativesmagazine.com
to view, and the original article is in archives - winter 2006, the editorial comment is in Summer 2007.
Thank you all for writing!

Annie Jeffries said...

Just read Moore's article. I like his thoughtful, dispassionate style. His instructive critique to the letter writer, no doubt fell on deaf ears but he made his point very well to other readers, like me. And consider the magazine title - "Alternative". Well, isn't that the point?

Nana-g said...

Annieelf- you are right! That is the point, I wish he would write more, moore!