Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Inheritance

Some time soon I want to address the subject of inheritance. It has been the subject of many discussions with my family and friends of late. Did not mean to intentionally pun there. Lots of death in the past few years. My sister was pondering the idea of my father leaving without leaving us anything. He had made and lost millions in his life time. Unfortunately for his 5 remaining children, he was on the 'lost' side of making losing millions.
I am in the middle of sorting, packing, tossing stuff - mine and others, life time of stuff. There is an urban myth that Mother Teresa could carry all of her possessions in a carry on bag. Not carry on bags, not boxes, not a 3 bedroom house mind you, a carry on bag! I am not there. In my sorting, I found a treasure box of old letters from my sister, from my dead friend Kate, and her dead husband Bill. I have letters and notes from my dead lover, and all of his funny little drawings and maps, maps for me with visual landmarks - cartoonish mountains, squiggley lines for roads and rivers... I found my dad's inheritance to me: a pair of blue sweatpants, a maroon t-shirt, a velcro wrist brace, a sling, and a depends. Oh yea, a pill box for a thousand pills, must have been a 'xlg' on the pill box range. I found the Italian leather bottle that I had sent my Gramma when I was in Europe, and was given back when she died. I have been left priceless items in inheritance. In fact, pretty much all of my earthly possessions, all the ones that I can't fit into a Mother Teresa size carry on bag, have been given to me. I have the sculpted head, paintings, I have beautiful Gawpo pottery, I have cantelope pottery. I have raisin appearing umbilicord remains from all of my children, their first hair cuts, their first lost teeth, and paintings, and journals of their first written words.
The inheritance, the somehow to make up for the non-existent dadism of a dad we had, is non-existent. He was loved like he could not love in the end, given the one thing he did not know how to give. Sometimes, just sometimes, maybe the inheritance is ours to give to our children, ourselves.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

I could carry Mother Theresa herself in a single carry on bag. How do like them apples.

I love that you love my pottery.

Big smile....

Deep breath....

Sigh....