Sunday, August 19, 2007

To covet or not - not a question

Here is my secret, hugely a secret, ok a secret I am now sharing with you and have shared with my closest girlfriends. I have had a crush on this man, he has beautiful crinkly around the edges, sharp piercingly blue eyes. He is funny and makes me laugh right outloud when I least suspect there is going to be humor; he produces it like a rabbit out of a hat.
These are all reasons to have a crush on someone, in my younger more likely to crush days I have had less reasons, seriously less reasons! The true reason that I am attracted to this man is how he is with his woman. He is the sole caregiver and they are so lovely together. She is beautiful, and funny. She looks up at him and he looks at her, connected and interconnected is the only words I have for it. It takes your breath away. He, she, they are good together, in the most patient and kind, what you would dream of in a relationship. I love her in her precious ways of being interactive with this world, her wheelchair and disability are not what defines her. How can you covet that? It is my secret guilt.
We were all together the other evening, the music was playing and I was teasing her about her secret stealthy ways of sneaking out and outbidding me in a secret auction (everytime I would turn around she would be gone and upping the bid!). She called me over and asked me to dance with her husband. My breath was taken away, I felt exposed, maybe I was too obvious in my adoration for her husband? No; 'Please' she pleaded with me, 'he really wants to dance'. I asked him,'Really? I would love to dance with you if you want to dance'. Like it was doing him a favor, really those are the conflicting moments in my heart that I may go to hell for!
We danced, and had a joyous wild dance for fun. As soon as it ended I went over and hugged her and thanked her for the moment. How can you not love such a thing that they have - it is not covetable.
Under the clear night sky, quartet playing she beamed as her husband got to dance.

2 comments:

lime said...

oh my, those two have such a love it seems. you've captured it in their devotion to each other's happiness. isn't that what all of us really want. someone who loves us selflessly?

Nana-g said...

Absolutely Lime, that is it - forget about those happily ever afterings, the here and now, day to day devotion is what caught my heart.